Monday, May 5, 2008

Mama On: Doing The Right Thing

"Do as I say, not as I do."

This is one of the more difficult bits of Mamaknology to bring to the table. Difficult, not because it's something that a LOT of us (parents and otherwise) say and do without thinking. Rather, it is difficult because it means that a practicing Mamaknologist has to realize, accept, and admit that something is wrong with their own behavior. Then, they have to care enough to correct the behavior in someone they love.

I am very grateful that my mother chose to introduce this precept early in my life. My mother was a heart attack and stroke victim. She passed ten days before her 57th birthday. And, as a pre-eminent Mamaknologist, she held me to a higher standard than the one she set for herself. She made sure that my ideas of nutrition were sound, that I understood the reasons for exercise and took them to heart. She made it a priority for me to understand that even my amazing body had limits, and that I had to pay attention if I wanted it (my body) to look good and last for a lifetime.

So, when the Mamaknologist who raised you says, "do as I say, not as I do," smile and realize that the nugget of truth borne in her wisdom has brought you this far. When the Mamaknologist you are says, "do as I say, not as I do," knowing that you're doing it for all the right reasons, congratulate yourself -- you've just taken another step toward mastering Mamaknology.

No comments: